Sunday, January 6, 2008

Some random shiznit

After a long, tedious and tiring 11 day process, I am finally settled and officially relocated to Louisiana. After the cable guy (who was incredibly friendly and came out on a day off) arrived to hook me up to the outside world of the NFL, Tia Tequila and endless reality shows, my relocation became official.

All I need now is a DVD stand because I forget my old one at home, unfortunately. It's not important, because I was adamant to squeeze my life into three Office Depot paper boxes, and I was able to. Except for clothes, that is.

Anywho, I've been doing daily stuff at work during my first week back, and generally getting used to the entire process again. It didn't take long, as it felt like I never left. It was sort of surreal, right from the time I arrived in New Orleans to the time I sat down at my work desk.

I came back during an exciting time, because the Sugar Bowl and BCS Championship game all take place within the span of a week at the Superdome. The Sugar Bowl completely sucked, as it was one of those games you could figure out the outcome after the first few drives by each team. Hawaii showed us why they weren't ranked higher than 10 at the end of the season, despite being undefeated.

It's unfortunate too, because there was a slew of Hawaiians that made the trip for the game. The French Quarter looked like downtown Honolulu the entire week leading up to the Warriors' ass beating. Oh well, I'm sure the entire season was a fun ride, as was having your team's bowl game in a city like New Orleans.

Monday is the BCS Championship game between Ohio State and LSU, and although I've rooted for OSU before (mainly when they play Michigan, because lets face it, no one likes Michigan), I'll find myself being neutral and just hoping for a good game. Please, no blowouts, I don't need another let down like the Sugar Bowl or the International Bowl. (Side note: did anyone think Ball State would stop Ray Rice from running all over our asses? Come on, BSU couldn't stop mediocre QB's from destroying them with the run, what made anyone think we could hold a top-rated RB from doing the same? The BSU football team is like the 2003-'05 Colts - great offense, shitty defense. Change this Brady Hoke.)

I've rambled long enough, but before I take off to enjoy my new cable connection, I'll leave you with a few quick movie reviews from some films I was able to take in between my final Finals and relocation.

American Gangster: An amazing film, from beginning to end. Denzel Washington plays a gangster that takes over his deceased friend's crime syndicate in Harlem. The plot is set in the late 60's, early 70's, and covers the many trials and tribulations of the rise and fall of a crime God. Did I mention Washington sets someone on fire to start the movie? Although that's one of the few violent scenes, this movie doesn't need gratuitous blood and gore to set the tone of what kind of man Washington plays. And the movie is based on a true story, what more do you need? 5/5

Dan in Real Life: Is it me, or has Dane Cook jumped the shark already? I think being cast in comedy-romance movies has hurt his real-life comedy act, because this guy just isn't funny anymore. Go ahead, listen to some of his early stuff from four or so years ago, then open your ears to some of his modern work. Big, crappy difference huh? Thank God Steve Carell is in this to carry it, because Cook just sucks, whether it be a supporting or lead role. This wasn't as much of a comedy as I thought it would be, but it's still a good story and Carell tells it well through his acting. 4/5

I Am Legend: You know when you eat something that has onion in it, and it tastes delicious going down, but five minutes later, you need 20 pieces of gum because the aftertaste is horrendous? That's kind of I Am Legend in a nutshell - the ending kind of makes you wonder if the process was worth it. If I'm left wondering if I liked a movie or didn't like a movie, I usually go with the latter, because no film should leave the viewer with indifference, good or bad. The only redeeming value with this movie is Will Smith's acting, but you probably already knew that. 2/5

Hitman: A choppy, confusing story, told very quickly. Luckily, the character and shooting scenes make it watchable, and somewhat enjoyable (I sound like I enjoy violence from these reviews, but really, I only like it if it's done right, like in American Gangster, or really bad ass, like in Hitman.) If you like the video games the movie is based on or stories about killing machines without emotions, you'll like this. Just don't pay more than two bucks or so to see it, which is the only mistake I made. 3/5

Hope everyones New Years is going great, and that you haven't given up on that resolution to get into or shape or stop shooting heroine.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So what's your resolution?

Unknown said...

OKay, so that was great...However...I'm ready for a new resolution :-)

Hope things are going well, haven't talked much this week.

I miss religious studies... :-)

xox
bee